Win a luxury family weekend at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
You need a break, but the thought of hot footing it to the airport and jetting off with kids in tow just for a weekend sounds like anything but restful. Enter the staycation. Close to home offerings that tick the boxes for all the family and leave you rested, regrouped and more importantly guarantee you’ll be back curled up in your PJ’s at home by Sunday evening.
We were running low in all ways, energy, sleep, time together, so when the opportunity came up for a bank holiday staycation we jumped at the chance, especially as the hotel we were heading to was less than an hour from home.
Formby Hall Hotel is the north-west’s best kept secret. Situated near the affluent coastal town of Formby and part of England’s internationally acclaimed Golf Coast – and still within putting distance of cultural hubs, Liverpool and Manchester.
With our littlefolk in tow, we discovered what’s on offer for families at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa.
The hotel boasts its own 18-hole championship golf course, an award-winning PGA Academy, the Harold Swash Putting Solutions for Excellence and an in-house Golf concierge and shop, but if like us you don’t play golf you’ll be glad to know there’s a wider offering of activities on offer. With a new-look Heath Club boasting some of the best state-of-the-art facilities in the North West and an extensive programme of fitness classes it’s easy to find some ‘you’ time during your family weekend.
The 20m indoor heated pool is a relaxing escape. Adorned with poolside day beds, this is the perfect spot to unwind. We loved the all-day family swim times meaning you’re not running your weekend like a military operation.
Hoorah for huge family rooms! We stayed in Loft Executive suite, which more than comfortably accommodated two adults and two children. The bathrooms are modern and impressive with monsoon showers, twin basins, ESPA toiletries and bathtub complete with TV screen allowing for the perfect post-day-out soak.
Our weekend needed to tick all boxes and top of the list was to wind down!
The ESPA Spa at Formby Hall is a tranquil haven away from the rigours of daily life. Frequented by day guests as well as hotel guests it’s clearly a popular place, but minutes into a hot stone full body massage and the silence and tranquillity eased away the stresses of daily life. (booking is essential)
The Fairway Grill & Bar offers a new menu of fine food and handcrafted cocktails. Positioned overlooking the golf course, this is an idyllic spot to dine.
Dinner was by far the most pleasant surprise of our stay – we’ve stay in a lot of hotels and when it comes to onsite hotel dining the experience doesn’t always hit the mark, however we really enjoyed offering at The Fairway. The considered use of fresh locally sourced produce, the atmosphere, the first class service, the mix of diners from hotel guests to local residents all added to the memorable experience.
We particularly loved the starter of fresh Calamari, and their signature main course dish, a Sirloin Medallion, slow cooked beef croquette served with caramelised onion puree, spinach and carrots, a beautifully balanced dish.
The biggest treat dining at The Fairway as a family? This is a restaurant that understands that dining with a 3 year old in your party needs a little extra thought, that children’s activity sheets and coloured pencils and a waiter with heaps of entertainment value, means that as parents you’ll get to relax and enjoy our meal too.
Location, location, location. Formby is a beautiful coastal town where the outdoors offers the perfect playground for families.
Here’s our pick on what to see during your stay.
- Formby Beach
An ideal space for families, there’s a large carpark, picnic areas and paths to the beach, dunes and woods. The dunes provide the perfect platform for views across the Irish Sea, and with so much nature to discover, this is a kids paradise.
2. Formby Red Squirrel Walk
Formby Hall is surrounded by easy woodland walks that take in the stunning scenery. The National Trust Red Squirrel Walk is home to the native red squirrel. The kids will love trying to spot one, whilst exploring this beautiful wooded trail.
3. Knowsley Safari Park
A wild family day out, rain or shine this popular family attraction doesn’t disappoint. Over 500 acres of safari drive this is the place to get up close with some incredible animals. From white rhinos to camels, wildebeest to zebras this is memorable day out that will keep the whole family happy. The baboons are fun to watch – but word of warning there are two routes to take either through or around the outskirts of the baboon area, your choice depending upon how much you value your windscreen wipers.
4. Bike Ride
The hotel offers a bike (payable locally at £15 per day), take a family bike ride through Formby Pinewoods National Trust Reserve or follow the 14.5miles track of the former Cheshire Lines Railway.
5. Horse Riding
Formby Hall Resort & Spa have teamed up with Bowlers Riding School, local to the hotel, offering hotel guests a unique opportunity to explore the local area on horseback. Saddle-up.
We needed time as a family, time to unwind, time away from the washing and the ironing and the pick ups and the drop offs and the endless to do list, time to rest, time to have fun – our verdict? You don’t need to venture far from home to feel as though you’ve had much needed r & r. Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa is the perfect reason to leave your passport at home this summer.
We stayed at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa in a Loft Executive Suite from £197 Dinner, Bed & Breakfast per room per night.
GIVEAWAY – WIN: A two-night family break at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Something for all of the family at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa is a hidden gem in the heart of the north-west, boasting outstanding facilities and a very warm welcome for the whole family.
The lucky winner and their family will experience the new two-night family break at the hotel, worth over £350, including breakfast on both mornings, a two-course dinner in the Fairway Grill for four each night, bike hire and a freshly prepared picnic for the family, access to the Health Club & Spa facilities and discounted family tickets for Knowlsey Safari Park.
Home to an 18-hole championship golf course, an award-winning PGA Academy, the Harold Swash Putting Solutions for Excellence and an in-house Golf concierge and shop, the hotel also has a new-look Health Club and Spa. The Fairway Grill restaurant and bar offers a new menu, and handcrafted cocktails for the adults as well as a specially designed kids’ menu.
With plenty to do on the doorstep, Formby Hall is ideally placed to help families discover the north-west. The new family break includes complimentary bike hire with a gourmet picnic freshly prepared by the hotel chef so that families can explore and indulge! Catch the baboon bus around Knowsley Safari Park to experience the only place in the north west to get up close to animals.
How to enter: email your name, contact number and email address to FormbyHallGiveaway@ParentFolk.co.uk by midnight on 20th July 2019.
Terms & Conditions:
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older to enter the competition
- Only one entry per person – automated or bulk entries and entries from third parties will be disqualified
- The prize is: Accommodation for 2 nights staying at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa on a DBB basis, based on 4 people (two adults and two children under the age of 12) sharing. The dinner includes two courses for four people, drinks and extras are chargeable. The prize includes complimentary bike hire with a picnic, complimentary access to the Health Club & Spa facilities and discounted family tickets to Knowsley Safari Park
- Entries will remain open from 1st June 2019 until midnight (GMT) on 20th July 2019
- The prize must be redeemed by 31st December 2020 and is subject to availability
- The prize is redeemable for up to 2 adults (over the age of 18) and two children (under the age of 12)
- By entering the competition, you agree to the use of your name and photograph, in publicity relating to this competition
- No cash alternative will be offered in exchange for the prizes detailed
- Any costs incurred over and beyond the prize offering are at the personal cost of the winner
- The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount
- The standard terms and conditions at formbyhallgolfresort.co.uk apply to this prize
- The prize must be accepted as awarded and is non-transferable, non-exchangeable and non-refundable. If due to circumstances beyond our control, Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa are unable to provide the stated prize, they reserve the right to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value
- For more information or to book: www.formbyhallgolfresort.co.uk. The family break is available from £364 for a family of four, staying in July and August. The price is based on two adults and two children under the age of 12, sharing a room.